No, it’s not Mexican Independence Day (that’s September), but Cinco de Mayo, May 5th, is arguably the most celebrated Mexican holiday in the United States. The date actually commemorates Mexico’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla in 1862, although it has become the day to celebrate the overconsumption of cerveza and tequila – and indeed Super Bowl Sunday for that Beer Consumption in the United States. Here are seven places to mark it.
– Start the party a day earlier with Chef Nicole Brisson and Milpa Chef DJ Flores from 12 noon to 7pm (while supplies last) Tuesday at Milpa4226 S. Durango Drive. Brisson recently returned from three months in Mexico and has been working on culinary concept development. You and Flores will be accompanied by Arnold Corpuz and Christian Castellanos, formerly B & B Hospitality Group and Eataly. They prepare octopus tostadas, duck tacos with tamarind glaze, and lobster tacos with coriander and lime lobster that are ground with Flores’ own stone masa tortillas. The celebrations include live music and raffle items. milpalv.com
– The new El Luchador Mexican cuisine + Cantina At 7825 Blue Diamond Road, a party is planned on the terrace with a taco cart, à la carte nibbles, and cold cervezas. The party starts at 12 p.m. and live mariachi music starts at 5 p.m. Open until 9 p.m. and older. The dining room will also be open. For those who prefer to party at home, El Luchador offers the Top Rope Party Pack, a taco bar where you and your guests can make chicken, carnitas and beef tacos (six each). Taco comes with taco toppings, fries and salsa, plus a bottle of Patron Silver for $ 100 (order by Monday for pickup between 11am and 2pm on Wednesday. Luchadorlv.com, 702-260-8709
– The taco Tuesday popup at Vegas test kitchen, 1020 E. Fremont St., will be relocating on Wednesday for a collaboration between chefs Mariana Alvarado from Masazul and Alex White from Yukon, pizza and special drinks, a mariachi band and a Latin rock band. The cover costs $ 10 via secretburger.com. Food and drinks offered a la carte include nachos from the wood-fired oven, carnitas tacos made from Bershire pork, quesadillas, Al Pastor pizza on sourdough crust, Dobel tequila margaritas, Dobel silver strawberry mint – Lime cocktails, $ 5 shots, and cold cervezas. secretburger.com
– Everyone serves margaritas at Cinco de Mayo; Here’s a chance to break out into something more interesting. The Tequila & Mezcal Festival in China Poblano The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas runs through May 11th. The spirits are matched to dishes with traditional Mayan ingredients. The menu includes dishes like Las Tres Hermanas, cranberry beans, pumpkin, and pumpkin blossoms in tomato sofrito, $ 12 that go well with La Feria del Elote, a cocktail made from Del Maguey Vida Mezcal, yellow chartreuse, lime, and corn cream $ 17. Others include the more adventurous Sikil P’ak, which involves folding roasted pumpkin seeds, tomatoes, onions, limes, chapulines (grasshoppers), and pomegranate seeds into a toasted blue corn tortilla ($ 12) and, along with chef arroqueño mezcal ($ 6), half an ounce . The Del Maguey Espadin Flight ($ 20) offers the opportunity to explore mezcals from individual villages within the Espadin agave species. chinapoblano.com
– If you want to party at home, Butterfly kitchen & Cocktails, 2575 S. Decatur Blvd. offers a takeaway taco kit for two for $ 25 (a $ 50 value for dining out). The kit contains four chicken, carne asada or carnitas tacos, a quesadilla, french fries and guacamole as well as a premixed coconut-lime-margarita mixture and assembly instructions. Order in advance for collection on May 5th at 11am. For those who dine there, specials include $ 4 house margaritas, BOGO carafes of coconut or lime margaritas, $ 5 recordings of Revel tequila, $ 4 mamitas tequila and soda, and a DJ from 3am to 5pm 702-476-3330 , mariposacocinalv.com
– Cinco de Mayo is celebrating five May – 5th – and you can party in two – actually three – locations in Las Vegas for $ 5. The The Cortez, which is celebrating its 80th anniversary this year, will feature $ 5 recordings by Patron and $ 5 1,800 margaritas, and have a roaming mariachi band from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. El Dorado Cantina at 3025 Sammy Davis Jr. Drive and in Tivoli Village will have $ 5 house margaritas (and now open 24/7). elcortezhotelcasino.com, eldoradocantina.com
Contact Heidi Knapp Rinella at [email protected] Follow @HKRinella on Twitter.