Las Vegas woman convicted in Medicaid fraud case

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) – A Las Vegas woman who the Nevada Attorney General says she billed clients for Medicaid services she failed to provide was convicted Thursday.

Keyana Lanice Jamill Carter, 29, was convicted on a Medicaid fraud case that did not involve keeping adequate records to support claims filed with Nevada Medicaid between July 2017 and June 2019.

The AG office says the investigation into this case began after the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit (MFCU) received information that Carter, through her firm, Gentle Touch Behavioral Health LLC, was charging Nevada Medicaid for services not rendered.

The MFCU also received information that company employees were being asked to keep false records to document services that were never performed in order to substantiate claims submitted to Medicaid for payment. Carter not only failed to keep the necessary documentation in support of the services allegedly provided to Medicaid recipients, but it also produced documents that included signatures from health care providers who denied the provision of the services, the AG’s office said.

On Thursday, 8th District Court Judge Jerry A. Wiese sentenced Carter to 364 days in prison, suspended her license and suspended Carter for one year.

As part of her sentence, Carter was also sentenced to pay $ 500,000. Individuals or companies convicted of Medicaid fraud can also be administratively excluded from future participation in Medicaid and Medicare.

“Carter and similar individuals who commit Medicaid scams are being aggressively pursued and prosecuted from my office.” Attorney General Aaron Ford said. “Carter’s conviction should serve as a warning that we will not tolerate healthcare providers who abuse the system for personal gain.”

The MFCU investigates and prosecutes financial fraud by those who provide medical services or goods to Medicaid patients. The MFCU also investigates and tracks cases of abuse or neglect of the elderly.

The Nevada MFCU receives 75% of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health through a grant. The state of Nevada, MFU, is funding the remaining 25%.

Anyone wishing to report a suspicion about any of these concerns can contact the MFCU at 702-486-3420 or 775-684-1100.

To file a complaint with the Nevada Attorney General’s Office, click here.

Comments are closed.